Changing stroke rehab and research worldwide now.Time is Brain! trillions and trillions of neurons that DIE each day because there are NO effective hyperacute therapies besides tPA(only 12% effective). I have 523 posts on hyperacute therapy, enough for researchers to spend decades proving them out. These are my personal ideas and blog on stroke rehabilitation and stroke research. Do not attempt any of these without checking with your medical provider. Unless you join me in agitating, when you need these therapies they won't be there.

What this blog is for:

My blog is not to help survivors recover, it is to have the 10 million yearly stroke survivors light fires underneath their doctors, stroke hospitals and stroke researchers to get stroke solved. 100% recovery. The stroke medical world is completely failing at that goal, they don't even have it as a goal. Shortly after getting out of the hospital and getting NO information on the process or protocols of stroke rehabilitation and recovery I started searching on the internet and found that no other survivor received useful information. This is an attempt to cover all stroke rehabilitation information that should be readily available to survivors so they can talk with informed knowledge to their medical staff. It lays out what needs to be done to get stroke survivors closer to 100% recovery. It's quite disgusting that this information is not available from every stroke association and doctors group.

Tuesday, September 20, 2011

Statins induce angiogenesis, neurogenesis, and synaptogenesis after stroke

From 2003, So my doctor, if he was up-to-date at all in 2006 could have given me the optionLink to take statins immediately after the stroke by asking if I wanted to try something that had only been tested in rats. Hell yes. I wonder how many doctors today offer this to their patients. I'll add this to my next stroke instructions to my doctor. You can't be too prepared, your doctor won't be.

http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1002/ana.10555/full

Abstract

We demonstrate that the 3-hydroxy-3-methyl-glutaryl-coenzyme A (HMG-CoA) reductase inhibitors atorvastatin and simvastatin enhance functional outcome and induce brain plasticity when administered after stroke to rats. With atorvastatin treatment initiated 1 day after stroke, animals exhibited significant increases in vascular endothelial growth factor, cyclic guanosine monophosphate, angiogenesis, endogenous cell proliferation and neurogenesis, and an increase in the synaptic protein, synaptophysin. Atorvastatin-induced angiogenesis in a tube formation assay was reduced by an antibody against the vascular endothelial growth factor receptor 2 (FIK-1) and by the nitric oxide synthase inhibitor, N-mono-methyl-L-arginine (L-NAME). Atorvastatin also induced phosphorylation of Akt and Erk in cultured primary cortical neurons. These data indicate that atorvastatin induced brain plasticity and has neurorestorative activity after experimental stroke. Ann Neurol 2003
Its now been tested in humans so your doctor should have no excuse to not know about this.
http://www.medwire-news.md/39/91658/Stroke/Acute_statin_therapy_improves_survival_after_ischemic_stroke.html

1 comment:

  1. When I went into hospital after the stroke, my cholesterol was about twice what the doctors consider healthy. I was put onto statins straight away (though I do not know if I had them IV whilst in the coma),
    I do not think I got any better improvement than what I would have got without them.
    I stopped them about 2 years after the stroke as I had read that they can cause fatigue

    ReplyDelete