Changing stroke rehab and research worldwide now.Time is Brain! trillions and trillions of neurons that DIE each day because there are NO effective hyperacute therapies besides tPA(only 12% effective). I have 523 posts on hyperacute therapy, enough for researchers to spend decades proving them out. These are my personal ideas and blog on stroke rehabilitation and stroke research. Do not attempt any of these without checking with your medical provider. Unless you join me in agitating, when you need these therapies they won't be there.

What this blog is for:

My blog is not to help survivors recover, it is to have the 10 million yearly stroke survivors light fires underneath their doctors, stroke hospitals and stroke researchers to get stroke solved. 100% recovery. The stroke medical world is completely failing at that goal, they don't even have it as a goal. Shortly after getting out of the hospital and getting NO information on the process or protocols of stroke rehabilitation and recovery I started searching on the internet and found that no other survivor received useful information. This is an attempt to cover all stroke rehabilitation information that should be readily available to survivors so they can talk with informed knowledge to their medical staff. It lays out what needs to be done to get stroke survivors closer to 100% recovery. It's quite disgusting that this information is not available from every stroke association and doctors group.

Thursday, September 30, 2010

24 hour-a-day stroke rehab therapy

My therapy seems to continue 24 hours a day.  There is nothing here that is clinically proven but I believe that even minimal tries every day will eventually produce neuroplastic change.
This knowledge came from reading lots of books, mostly Stronger After Stroke by Peter Levine. Everything I do has to be looked at in terms if it will help my recovery. I'm left side affected with at least half of my motor cortex dead and all of my pre-motor cortex dead, no real damage to my sensory cortex. This diagnosis did not come from my doctor since he never even showed me my MRI, I figured this out myself by joining a research study that did an fMRI scan on my brain. My sensory cortex supposedly was not affected but is less than before so I am assuming that it was routed thru the motor cortex across the central sulcus to get to the correct nerve endings. And since the motor cortex is mostly dead I have to find a new pathway to those nerves. This is rather depressing that I have to do all this self-diagnosis myself.
Since I am 4 years out I am way past the normal spontaneous recovery of the penumbra of the stroke. This means that all the work I am doing is to neuroplastically move control of dead areas to another location in the brain. The concept I am working on is to at least get some movement by passively moving body parts that don't work. Passive movement does have some research backing it up. http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/15003755
Normal day, going to work.
Breakfast is pretty much a one-handed affair. I don't have finger extension yet to be able to hold my bowl of cereal with my left hand.  I can't keep my arm on the table due to spasticity constantly pulling it off, My OT tried to use opening the refrigerator door with my left hand as a therapy goal but since the fingers still haven't opened that one is still a failure. Zipping up a coat is still a challenge with the limited pinch grasp I have. I walk 2 blocks to the bus stop with my cane. I use a cane to get to work because the Messenger bag I carry pulls me off balance. At the corner waiting for the bus I lift my left foot up to the top of an 18 inch high rock. this mimics the stair stepping my PT always had me doing.After that I stand on my right leg and pull my left leg back until it rests on my left toes, this is trying to get my hamstring to fire. Then comes standing on my left leg and stepping back and forth with the right leg, good for all the little muscles that fire in your legs to keep you balanced, if necessary I use the cane in my right hand for balance. This came from a Tai Chi class I took. I add using my cane for PROM movements of my shoulder. On the bus ride itself I have to decide if I should work on keeping my arm straight, trying to stop the spasticity in my bicep, or flex my fingers open and closed with my good hand.
At work, I use my good hand to guide me bad hand with a single finger pointing down to type. Sitting in my work chair I pull my left leg under me, trying to fire my hamstring muscles.I try to dangle my arm over the side of the chair to let it know that it can relax and hang straight. Washing my hands at the sink I have to open and close the single lever faucet with my bad arm/hand. Then I go to the stairwell and do a set of 50 toe raises.
Waiting at the bus stop at night I raise and lower my lower arm 50 times. Next is knee bends on the left side, just going down enough to unlock the knee and then straightening it out again. On the way home I stop at one of our apple trees in our yard and put the affected hand around a limb that is at shoulder height, push and pull with the biceps/triceps. Sitting on a couch reading requires either sitting on my flattened hand or keeping the whole arm straight next to my leg.
While sitting I rotate my arm outward from my leg, even if it is only 3 inches at a time.
Eating at the table I just put my left hand flat on the table next to my plate, just trying to keep it in one place is a workout quieting down my spastic pectoralis and bicep muscles. I sneezed once at the table and swept all my dishes to the floor, so now I grab my affected hand as soon I notice a sneeze coming. In the shower at night I put my affected hand Linkdirectly under the shower head trying to stimulate the sensations. This idea came from Sensory Re-education of the Hand After Stroke by Yekeutiel, Margaret. I also have a small fingernail brush that I use on my affected hand. The other trial I work on is hot and cold water on the hand from http://myweb.ncku.edu.tw/~fzshaw/ ASA.pdf
Researchers found that cycles of heat and cold significantly enhanced the
sensory and motor function in the arms and hands of stroke survivors after a few weeks of therapy.
At night I have to decide if I want to sleep on my back which requires putting my affected fist under my butt, or sleep on my side with my affected hand flattened out under my pillow.
Other therapies during a regular day. Riding in a car means either flexing my fingers of my affected hand or straightening my left arm and just holding it straight.
Every time I stop walking I have to consciously tell my left arm to relax and hang straight by my side. This is rather embarassing for a guy walking around to have his bent arm constantly banging into his crotch. As much as possible I try to come up with exercises that engage my triceps to keep my arm straight. I also work on exercising my biceps because exercising spastic muscles does not increase spasticity as your therapist probably told you.
None of this is intended to be medical advice, Just my opinion that if you are going to recover you need to consider it a constant job, either with exercises or mental imagery of those exercises.
My suggestion is that you take whatever movement you do have and work at the outer limits of that movement.
What I have to do is think every single moment of the day if there is some movement I should practise or should I be thinking about that movement. What this means is that I have to do everything the hard way to get to recovery rather than compensatory movements.
This book, The survivors club : the secrets and science that could save your life / Ben Sherwood, was interesting in that it broke down survivors of disasters into 3 groups. 10% would actively become leaders, 80% would follow the leaders, 10% would do nothing. I try to apply this to my stroke survivorship and am working on being in the top 10%.
In further posts I will detail the work I do for rehab.

No rest for the wicked.

No comments:

Post a Comment