Changing stroke rehab and research worldwide now.Time is Brain! trillions and trillions of neurons that DIE each day because there are NO effective hyperacute therapies besides tPA(only 12% effective). I have 523 posts on hyperacute therapy, enough for researchers to spend decades proving them out. These are my personal ideas and blog on stroke rehabilitation and stroke research. Do not attempt any of these without checking with your medical provider. Unless you join me in agitating, when you need these therapies they won't be there.

What this blog is for:

My blog is not to help survivors recover, it is to have the 10 million yearly stroke survivors light fires underneath their doctors, stroke hospitals and stroke researchers to get stroke solved. 100% recovery. The stroke medical world is completely failing at that goal, they don't even have it as a goal. Shortly after getting out of the hospital and getting NO information on the process or protocols of stroke rehabilitation and recovery I started searching on the internet and found that no other survivor received useful information. This is an attempt to cover all stroke rehabilitation information that should be readily available to survivors so they can talk with informed knowledge to their medical staff. It lays out what needs to be done to get stroke survivors closer to 100% recovery. It's quite disgusting that this information is not available from every stroke association and doctors group.

Tuesday, November 2, 2010

triking and dangerous stroke rehab

When I went looking for a trike, after 1 year 2 months, my choices were a cool looking recumbent or the staid upright. I really wanted the recumbent because it looked cool and fast and nothing I was doing anymore was fast.
But there was no way  I could hold my left foot on the pedal unless I wanted to get biking shoes with the builtin clips and the pedals to go with. And since I can't tie shoelaces that ruled this out.  So I got the staid one.
This is an upright trike with the huge basket in back. Talk about feeling ancient. I took it out on the bike path that runs along the West River road in front of our house. I got about 100 yards down the bike path when  I tipped the trike over. So Emma went back home for elbow pads and bandaids. It comes with a coaster brake, single speed, and a single brake lever for the front wheel on the right handlebar.  With 20+ years of  bicycle commuting I figured I knew how to ride, but I needed to unlearn the idea of turning the bike by leaning and also to relearn how to use the coaster brake. From one of the websites selling 3 wheel adult trikes comes this quote.'Enjoy cycling without the need to balance'.  I think for those of us who come to this from many years of regular biking, this is an extremely dangerous piece of equipment, at least until you retrain your old habits. Speed is definitely not something that will occur on this trike. You have to constantly be on the alert to make sure it is pointing straight ahead, there is no margin of error. There are biking trails on old railroad beds near our house, great for practicing on level paths. Year 2 of recovery I would do an 18 mile loop in 4 hours. In year 3 I got it down to 3 hours mainly because I finally got a 3 inch longer seatpost so I could have better cycling form. In year 4 the loop still takes 3 hours, I haven't done enough riding this year.  You can read about my plans to get back to a two-wheeler here.

No comments:

Post a Comment