Changing stroke rehab and research worldwide now.Time is Brain! trillions and trillions of neurons that DIE each day because there are NO effective hyperacute therapies besides tPA(only 12% effective). I have 523 posts on hyperacute therapy, enough for researchers to spend decades proving them out. These are my personal ideas and blog on stroke rehabilitation and stroke research. Do not attempt any of these without checking with your medical provider. Unless you join me in agitating, when you need these therapies they won't be there.

What this blog is for:

My blog is not to help survivors recover, it is to have the 10 million yearly stroke survivors light fires underneath their doctors, stroke hospitals and stroke researchers to get stroke solved. 100% recovery. The stroke medical world is completely failing at that goal, they don't even have it as a goal. Shortly after getting out of the hospital and getting NO information on the process or protocols of stroke rehabilitation and recovery I started searching on the internet and found that no other survivor received useful information. This is an attempt to cover all stroke rehabilitation information that should be readily available to survivors so they can talk with informed knowledge to their medical staff. It lays out what needs to be done to get stroke survivors closer to 100% recovery. It's quite disgusting that this information is not available from every stroke association and doctors group.

Sunday, January 9, 2011

rowing and stroke rehab

We have a rowing machine in our basement, sometimes called an ergometer. This past week I started using it again. The various therapies involved are turning on two light switches with my affected hand, it looks ugly but what the hell. Walking down the steps does still require that I put my good hand against the wall as I come down. My form on the rower is pretty much straight-armed, this is on purpose, to lessen and counteract the spasticity of my left arm. I do still use the spasticity of my curled left fingers to keep a grasp on the handle. The back and forth on the slide strengthens my quads and the slide up works my hamstrings. Currently only doing 750 meters. I'll work my way up to the race length of 2500 meters in the next couple of weeks. After I am done with my workout I just use my left leg to go back and  forth on the slide, mainly to get the hamstring working better.
I tried this at the gym, but most of the other persons on the rowers are trying too hard and grunting while doing it.

I am trying to get 'ripped'. You know those balloon-headed aliens on science-fiction shows. I figure I will be able to start looking like them if I work at this enough. That would really appeal to those working out at the gym. Especially those pulsing veins on the forehead, that would look good with my baldness. :roflmao:

5 comments:

  1. Dean, any thoughts to moving the rowing machine? Brian

    ReplyDelete
  2. Actually going downstairs is all part of the recovery process. Everything I do has to be done the slow way because the repitition is what is needed. This is the old question of do you want to compensate or do you want to recover?

    ReplyDelete
  3. As you probably have noticed, I'm a big fan of rowing machines...wanna race?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Come on Barb you've been practicing for a while. I would probably fall off the erg at 2500 meters from exhaustion.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You can do it, Dean... I rowed 3 times a week, starting at 5 minutes the first week, then increasing 5 minutes a row per week - it doesn't take that long to get to an hour... then I worked on speed. I seem stuck at 13 minutes per mile. Standing up after an hour row is challenging, but good for proving my quads are strong.

    ReplyDelete