Changing stroke rehab and research worldwide now.Time is Brain! trillions and trillions of neurons that DIE each day because there are NO effective hyperacute therapies besides tPA(only 12% effective). I have 523 posts on hyperacute therapy, enough for researchers to spend decades proving them out. These are my personal ideas and blog on stroke rehabilitation and stroke research. Do not attempt any of these without checking with your medical provider. Unless you join me in agitating, when you need these therapies they won't be there.

What this blog is for:

My blog is not to help survivors recover, it is to have the 10 million yearly stroke survivors light fires underneath their doctors, stroke hospitals and stroke researchers to get stroke solved. 100% recovery. The stroke medical world is completely failing at that goal, they don't even have it as a goal. Shortly after getting out of the hospital and getting NO information on the process or protocols of stroke rehabilitation and recovery I started searching on the internet and found that no other survivor received useful information. This is an attempt to cover all stroke rehabilitation information that should be readily available to survivors so they can talk with informed knowledge to their medical staff. It lays out what needs to be done to get stroke survivors closer to 100% recovery. It's quite disgusting that this information is not available from every stroke association and doctors group.

Saturday, June 18, 2011

Less is more? stroke rehab

I know this is outside the normal brain expectation but I rhetorically ask anyway. And this really does not help myself or anyone else, but someone has to ask the head-scratching questions if we want to understand how recovery works. Stump your neurologist with this question.
Standard dogma in brain exercise is that the more you use an area more neurons are recruited from adjacent areas to strengthen your ability to do those tasks. Ie. braille readers increase the area of the sensory cortex mapped to finger tips. This brings up the conundrum in stroke rehabilitation, we have lost millions of neurons and have damaged millions more. If we make the assumption that neurogenesis and stem cells will not be able to help us we are led down three possible paths of complete recovery. I actually believe in neurogenesis.
:ranting:
1. Neurons can do double duty, control toe function and finger sensation. I haven't been able to find any research if this is possible. Answer here: Yes
http://oc1dean.blogspot.com/2011/11/neuronal-multitasking-principle.html
2. Single neurons are enough to control functions. This is described here;
http://oc1dean.blogspot.com/2011/04/single-neuron-power.html Meaning that we take an area that used to use 1000 neurons to control a function and reduce control to 1 neuron, thus freeing up 999 neurons for other uses. I'm sure it would take a lot of research to even prove if this is possible. Call this negative neuroplasticity.
Answwer here: No
http://oc1dean.blogspot.com/2011/11/single-neuron-insufficiency-priciple.html
3. An area of the brain is selected for takeover, cleaned of its old functions and replaced with more agressive needs. Ie. toe function is lost and replaced with finger function. In this case you hope your cognitive functions are strong enough to resist being taken over. This is easily provable with fMRIs.

Never mind me, my stroke-addled brain is trying too hard to figure out the brain.
>:roflmao:

4 comments:

  1. I'm RELYING on my brains capacity to regenerate itself by training hard at a gym 3 times a week, using Tens ...& now my Osteopath is using Cranial Osteopathy to help the areas of scar tissue to change & repair- I've had 2 sessions so far, each time I notice at the gym the areas of the brain she's just worked on heat up...& particular exercises are getting gradually easier & my trainer comments on my making noticeble improvement....It's early days yet but my Osteopath & I are quietly excited (her words & i agree). My philosophy is to "approach the problem" from various angles, a multifacetted strategy, to use therapies & technologies that support each other,...& lots of visualisation & "people watching" examining ways of moving ...ie I'm pulling out all the stops & trying anything & everything within reason - it's a LONG journey ahead so NEVER GIVE UP people!! (Anything is possible if u give your body chance to prove it! ...that includes getting over all the disappointments etc along the way.)

    ReplyDelete
  2. My Osteopath & I, after talking found we shared the same awareness, that the brain is bathed continuously in fluid, an ideal environment for scar tissue healing & regenerating - the same thing with the heart, being in a warm moist environment - more & more evidence is emerging, stories coming out of DNA can rewrite itself, tissues of varying types can replicate that are not exclusive only to stem cells. Many theories that were once presumed as fact, are being turned on its head. My aim for full recovery is not so unreasonable - it's a mighty mountain to climb... with putting one foot in front of the other...with perserverance..& some!! Along the way I keep meeting extraordinary souls that make the journey less arduous & lonely. *;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. If this is what a cranial osteopath does;
    Cranial Osteopathy is a branch of Osteopathy that seeks to enliven the small rhythms normally present at the sutures of the skull. The Osteopath uses her or his hands to facilitate the almost imperceptable movements between the skull bones. This is done to assist the cerebrospinal fluid to flow and circulate, offering the central nervous system nutrition, detoxification and protection from trauma.

    The Osteopath performing Cranial Osteopathy can actually feel a rhythm at the lines between the skull bones. She or he evaluates the quality of that rhythm, and applies subtle, indirect force to enhance its movement and pulsation.

    Then I would say this is nothing more than a placebo and quackery

    ReplyDelete
  4. Cranial osteopathy is more involved & complex than your introductory/basic statement above; & can be used to help various organs of the body as well as other systems. From my experience it has beneficial affects that make significant & lasting effect (& encourages/supports the body's own ability to heal itself).I had been having treatments for another condition prior to my stroke..& post stroke found regular treatments helpful with spasticity taking it's toll. As with many things in life you cant expect instant results, & significant conditions will take many treatments to see effects over time. I'm choosing to keeping an open mind/suspend judgment & let my body show what is possible where the head can hold all sorts of views that may/may not correspond. Thankfully my Osteopath is long in the tooth & has 30yrs of practice behind her & still goes on regular training retreats to update her practice & techniques - a rare find!

    I offer this information with a view that there's more than one way to skin a cat & each of us has a unique path to tread.

    ReplyDelete