When Ta’Mara Aarin, 55, first arrived at a rehabilitation center after having a stroke that left her paralyzed on her left side, she was asked to set a goal. Aarin’s speech was slurred, her mind was foggy and she could barely even twitch the muscles on her left side, but she said, “100% recovery.”(This is what every survivor should demand.) Silence ensued.

The rehab staff stood there with the solemn understanding that Aarin would likely never be self-sufficient again thanks to the blot clot in her brain. But they didn’t say no. And for the past three years of recovery, neither has she.

“It was painful and my motor skills were affected,” said Aarin, a longtime Woodland Hills resident, on Wednesday June 28. “But I understood my body. It was really hard, but I wasn’t going to let (my life) slip by.”

“My recovery has taken me to some dark places,” she said. “I fought hard. Now, three years post-stroke, with lots of love and patience, I have returned to running.”

She will represent her charity, California Rehab Foundation, at the start of the Badwater 135 ultra-marathon in Death Valley from July 4 to July 6, supporting 100 runners on their 135-mile journey in 120-plus degree heat. She crewed the brutal race for more than ten years, but this week she and her husband will be on the sidelines, supporting runners with upbeat signage. She says of the future, “If you ask me for an ending to my story, it ends with me toeing the line at Badwater 135.”

Her life’s greatest challenge began on the night of March, 24, 2020 when Aarin experienced a stroke in the back of her neck, near her spinal cord. Her arm went numb and she had difficulty speaking, but neither Aarin nor her husband realized she was having a stroke. The next morning, her symptoms severely worsened, and she went to the hospital.