Changing stroke rehab and research worldwide now.Time is Brain! trillions and trillions of neurons that DIE each day because there are NO effective hyperacute therapies besides tPA(only 12% effective). I have 523 posts on hyperacute therapy, enough for researchers to spend decades proving them out. These are my personal ideas and blog on stroke rehabilitation and stroke research. Do not attempt any of these without checking with your medical provider. Unless you join me in agitating, when you need these therapies they won't be there.

What this blog is for:

My blog is not to help survivors recover, it is to have the 10 million yearly stroke survivors light fires underneath their doctors, stroke hospitals and stroke researchers to get stroke solved. 100% recovery. The stroke medical world is completely failing at that goal, they don't even have it as a goal. Shortly after getting out of the hospital and getting NO information on the process or protocols of stroke rehabilitation and recovery I started searching on the internet and found that no other survivor received useful information. This is an attempt to cover all stroke rehabilitation information that should be readily available to survivors so they can talk with informed knowledge to their medical staff. It lays out what needs to be done to get stroke survivors closer to 100% recovery. It's quite disgusting that this information is not available from every stroke association and doctors group.

Monday, May 30, 2011

Automated measurement of proprioception following stroke

This is from 2007 but it takes forever to find documentation on stroke rehab. If I were a conspiracy person I would think someone is hiding this on purpose in order to take over the world. You know how smart stroke survivors are and their plans on world conquest.

I hope this got followed up and came to a therapy protocol that actually restores proprioception. My only earlier finding on this was here:
http://oc1dean.blogspot.com/2011/03/proprioception-and-stroke-rehab.html
The research paper here:
http://www.bgu.ac.il/~akarniel/pub/Leibowitz_etalDRinpress.pdf
ABSTRACT
Background: Proprioception provides feedback which is essential for adequate motor
control. Despite having detrimental functional implications, the assessment of proprioception
deficits in current clinical practice is mostly qualitative and inadequate for diagnosis and
longitudinal monitoring of subtle impairments and their effect on motor function.
Purpose: To evaluate a novel quantitative approach to the assessment of proprioception
deficits in stroke patients.
Method: We designed and implemented an automated protocol where a magnetic motion
tracking system and a sensor attached to each of the patient’s hands, enables registration of
trajectories in 3D coordinates. In this protocol the patient’s affected and healthy hands are
placed respectively below and above a square board. With vision blocked, the subject’s
affected hand is passively moved to one of four locations, and then the patient is instructed to
actively position the healthy hand directly above his/her perceived location of the affected
hand. The positional difference between the two hands is automatically recorded by the
system. This procedure is repeated several times and the magnitude and direction of errors
are used to quantify the proprioception deficit. The data for this pilot study was collected in a
sample of 22 stroke patients and an age-matched group of neurologically intact subjects.
Results: Stroke patients had significantly higher mean distance error compared with the control group (average values of 7.9 and 5.3 cm, respectively), and showed higher instability (variance) in repeated performance (average values of the standard deviation of errors 3.4 and 1.8 cm, respectively). Significant correlation was found between the mean distance error and the results of semi-quantitative clinical tests of proprioception.
Conclusion: The system provides a reliable quantitative measure of upper limb proprioception, offering considerable advantage over the traditional means applied in the clinic.

2 comments:

  1. Now finally I have enough motion to play scales on the piano on my right hand. But with my eyes closed, I'm lucky if I can repeat one note two times.I'm hoping that sound feedback will help me to "locate" my hand. I'll let you know how my results go.

    http://myhappystroke.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Rebecca said: I never lost the ability to feel where my fingers are when someone else moves them. Unfortunately proprioception from sensory endings in the joint capsules is separate from the sensory endings in the muscles (muscle spindles). OT is currently helping me find where each muscle group is that moves my hand. While I've been able to contract and relax my finger flexors for 7 years, I am now extending my fingers and thumb for the first time.

    ReplyDelete