Changing stroke rehab and research worldwide now.Time is Brain! trillions and trillions of neurons that DIE each day because there are NO effective hyperacute therapies besides tPA(only 12% effective). I have 523 posts on hyperacute therapy, enough for researchers to spend decades proving them out. These are my personal ideas and blog on stroke rehabilitation and stroke research. Do not attempt any of these without checking with your medical provider. Unless you join me in agitating, when you need these therapies they won't be there.

What this blog is for:

My blog is not to help survivors recover, it is to have the 10 million yearly stroke survivors light fires underneath their doctors, stroke hospitals and stroke researchers to get stroke solved. 100% recovery. The stroke medical world is completely failing at that goal, they don't even have it as a goal. Shortly after getting out of the hospital and getting NO information on the process or protocols of stroke rehabilitation and recovery I started searching on the internet and found that no other survivor received useful information. This is an attempt to cover all stroke rehabilitation information that should be readily available to survivors so they can talk with informed knowledge to their medical staff. It lays out what needs to be done to get stroke survivors closer to 100% recovery. It's quite disgusting that this information is not available from every stroke association and doctors group.

Wednesday, April 6, 2011

stiff arteries - risk of stroke

I didn't see any actual measurements in the article but the video made it look like maybe reaching your toes was ok.
http://www.associatedcontent.com/article/7708234/do_this_test_to_find_out_if_you_have.html

So I tried this, getting down to the floor was interesting. With my good arm I was able to touch my toes, with my bad arm I guess I am at extreme risk for another stroke or heart attack.

A simple test that measures trunk flexibility could say a lot about your risk of dying of a heart attack or stroke. According to a study published in the American Journal of Physiology, poor trunk flexibility is aAdChoices

marker for arterial stiffness, a condition that increases the risk of deadly heart disease and strokes.
Trunk Flexibility and Arterial Stiffness: How Far Can You Reach?
Researchers used the sit-and-reach test to measure the trunk flexibility of 526 healthy adults. The participants were asked to sit on the floor with their legs straight and their backs pressed against a wall. Then they were asked to bend forward while the researchers measured how far they could reach with their hands. They also measured their blood pressure and did other tests to assess their degree of arterial stiffness. What did they find?
In those over 40, lack of trunk flexibility was a good marker for stiff arteries in this group. Older adults who had limited trunk flexibility and an inability to reach very far when sitting had a greater degree of arterial stiffness. Older adults with poor trunk flexibility also had higher systolic blood pressures, on average.
Yoga and Pilates: Good for More than Your Abdominals?
Now, researchers have another question. Will a program designed to increase trunk flexibility reduce arterial stiffness and the risk of heart disease? One of the authors of the study, Kenta Yomamoto, is hopeful.
He and his colleagues believe that stretching the muscles in the trunk and increasing the flexibility of these muscles helps to "relax" stiff arteries and reduce blood pressure. They speculate that exercise programs that focus on flexibility such as yoga and Pilates could help to reduce arterial stiffness, and, possibly, the risk of heart disease and stroke.

1 comment:

  1. I herniated a disc and have been keeping back pain at bay by doing yoga stretches every morning under the covers while I am still toasty warm. I've been doing this for years because it feels good and gives me a legitimate excuse to stay in bed 10 more minutes. Now I learn that I may also be keeping my arteries flexible. Wahoo - I get a twofer.

    ReplyDelete