Changing stroke rehab and research worldwide now.Time is Brain! trillions and trillions of neurons that DIE each day because there are NO effective hyperacute therapies besides tPA(only 12% effective). I have 523 posts on hyperacute therapy, enough for researchers to spend decades proving them out. These are my personal ideas and blog on stroke rehabilitation and stroke research. Do not attempt any of these without checking with your medical provider. Unless you join me in agitating, when you need these therapies they won't be there.

What this blog is for:

My blog is not to help survivors recover, it is to have the 10 million yearly stroke survivors light fires underneath their doctors, stroke hospitals and stroke researchers to get stroke solved. 100% recovery. The stroke medical world is completely failing at that goal, they don't even have it as a goal. Shortly after getting out of the hospital and getting NO information on the process or protocols of stroke rehabilitation and recovery I started searching on the internet and found that no other survivor received useful information. This is an attempt to cover all stroke rehabilitation information that should be readily available to survivors so they can talk with informed knowledge to their medical staff. It lays out what needs to be done to get stroke survivors closer to 100% recovery. It's quite disgusting that this information is not available from every stroke association and doctors group.

Monday, September 26, 2011

Sensation and motor stroke rehabilitation

I have a soft rubber ball, approximately the same size as a Saebo ball, 4 inches in diameter. The ball has 1/4 inch pointy rubber protrusions all over it. I use it while watching TV or working on the computer. Forcing my hand around it and letting my arm rest on the chair armrest. This provides 3 forms of therapy.
Spasticity reduction by just keeping my arm from pulling into my chest.
Sensation by the spikes digging into my hand, my spasticity of my figers means that I keep sending both pressure and light pain up to my sensory cortex. Eventually the neurons will figure out how to get their signals thru the white matter.
Motor control, just keeping my arm in place on the arm rest without letting it fall off. This is working on the ability to multi-task muscle events, something that does not work very well right now.
The thumb does not spread out properly so the nubbins help keep it in place.

1 comment:

  1. I'll be getting one of these. Thanks for the suggestion!

    ReplyDelete