Changing stroke rehab and research worldwide now.Time is Brain! trillions and trillions of neurons that DIE each day because there are NO effective hyperacute therapies besides tPA(only 12% effective). I have 523 posts on hyperacute therapy, enough for researchers to spend decades proving them out. These are my personal ideas and blog on stroke rehabilitation and stroke research. Do not attempt any of these without checking with your medical provider. Unless you join me in agitating, when you need these therapies they won't be there.

What this blog is for:

My blog is not to help survivors recover, it is to have the 10 million yearly stroke survivors light fires underneath their doctors, stroke hospitals and stroke researchers to get stroke solved. 100% recovery. The stroke medical world is completely failing at that goal, they don't even have it as a goal. Shortly after getting out of the hospital and getting NO information on the process or protocols of stroke rehabilitation and recovery I started searching on the internet and found that no other survivor received useful information. This is an attempt to cover all stroke rehabilitation information that should be readily available to survivors so they can talk with informed knowledge to their medical staff. It lays out what needs to be done to get stroke survivors closer to 100% recovery. It's quite disgusting that this information is not available from every stroke association and doctors group.

Tuesday, February 18, 2014

Stroke Rounds: USPSTF Says Carotid Screening Overused

Well the lack of information and vigorous thinking continues. After my dad had his carotid endarterectomy, his doctor should have known what the chances were that any children might have problems. My doctor who finally did an ultrasound on my carotids 3 years post stroke found that my right carotid had totally closed up. His thought was that it probably was 80% clogged at the time of the stroke. With the knowledge that maybe I should have had my carotids scanned, my stroke was totally preventable. In a complete failure of hospital procedures my carotid blockage was never found or looked for. So for 3 years I was at an extremely high risk of dissecting the exact same artery again.  But I managed to miss that bullet which is why I can be a complete pain in the ass right now to all things stroke related. But don't listen to me, I'm not medically trained and thus should just shut up and die. Have fun people, I am. This is probably more against those independent traveling clinics like Lifeline because they are outside of the normal medical channels.

Stroke Rounds: USPSTF Says Carotid Screening Overused


The U.S. Preventive Services Task Force (USPSTF) has reaffirmed its recommendation against screening asymptomatic adults(I was asymptomatic)  in the general population for carotid artery stenosis, draft guidance showed.
After an updated review of the evidence, the USPSTF concluded "with moderate certainty that the harms of screening for asymptomatic carotid artery stenosis outweigh the benefits."
The recommendation against screening is consistent with the task force's previous 2007 guidance on the topic, as well as guidelines from other major organizations, including the American Heart Association/American Stroke Association and the American College of Cardiology.
Several factors contribute to the consensus that routine screening isn't a good idea.
Studies indicate that the prevalence of carotid artery stenosis is low in the general population, at 1% or lower. When stenosis is present, few cases actually trigger a stroke, and there are no reliable ways to identify the problematic cases.(Has any research been done at all? With the correct amount of data this question could be easily solved. Stop throwing up your hands and accepting defeat at the slightest bump. In my organization you would be fired for that defeatist attitude.)

More at link

No comments:

Post a Comment