Changing stroke rehab and research worldwide now.Time is Brain! trillions and trillions of neurons that DIE each day because there are NO effective hyperacute therapies besides tPA(only 12% effective). I have 523 posts on hyperacute therapy, enough for researchers to spend decades proving them out. These are my personal ideas and blog on stroke rehabilitation and stroke research. Do not attempt any of these without checking with your medical provider. Unless you join me in agitating, when you need these therapies they won't be there.

What this blog is for:

My blog is not to help survivors recover, it is to have the 10 million yearly stroke survivors light fires underneath their doctors, stroke hospitals and stroke researchers to get stroke solved. 100% recovery. The stroke medical world is completely failing at that goal, they don't even have it as a goal. Shortly after getting out of the hospital and getting NO information on the process or protocols of stroke rehabilitation and recovery I started searching on the internet and found that no other survivor received useful information. This is an attempt to cover all stroke rehabilitation information that should be readily available to survivors so they can talk with informed knowledge to their medical staff. It lays out what needs to be done to get stroke survivors closer to 100% recovery. It's quite disgusting that this information is not available from every stroke association and doctors group.

Friday, May 4, 2012

Woodturning and stroke rehab

I've been attempting to do this for the past 2 years.
I do bowl turning partly because I can use a faceplate that I screw to the piece of wood, spindle turning using small diameter pieces and centering them between the headstock and the tailstock is almost impossible because you need to hold the piece of wood steady with one hand while the second hand slides the tailstock to tighten the piece down.  If I had access to freshly cut wood it would be so much easier. Green wood turns much easier and sprays you with water/sap as you are turning. The objective in turning green wood bowls is to leave a substantial side wall thickness so after they dry into oblong shapes you still have enough material to make them round again. I however have to use dried half logs. In order to get them rounded down the easiest you normally would take them to a bandsaw and rough cut them to a round shape.  Bandsaws at best require two useable hands to push the wood thru the blade. I don't have 2 useable hands or a bandsaw so I punted, I bought a JAW-horse, which you can use its rachet clamp on your piece of wood to hold the wood while you use a hand bucksaw to cut off the corners. For some of my wood I have 12 in logs that first need splitting. I stand them upright in the JAW-horse and cut a 2inch deep kerf to start the splitting process. My splitting wedge has a very blunt end and in order to use it I first have to drive 2 wood chisels in the kerf to open it up. Holding the wood chisels in my left hand still in order to pound them in  is real problematic, I can't grasp my fingers tightly enough to hold the chisel. My spastic wrist curls in, pulling the blade out of the kerf, my spastic pecs pull the whole arm away from the block of wood.  When I finally get them buried I get out the 3 lb. splitting maul  and try to hold that upright while I use my 2 lb. hammer on it. So far no smashed fingers or hand. Lots of swearing though.
The actual turning, my left hand pretty much just rides along with the tool as the right hand controls the angle and pitch. I'm hoping that the vibrations will send signals back to whatever proprioception center I have or am recreating
JAWhorse here: 3 legs, the jaws rachet closed with the foot lever
Yellow button locks the jaws in place

What the wood looks like when clamped in, I cut off the corners










My bucksaw I use, Its a takedown model, it took lots of swearing to put it together one-handed








One corner off:










Two corners off

 








My splitting wedge, its almost impossible to hold this upright with my left hand and be able to pound on it. Wood underneath is a blue spruce.













No comments:

Post a Comment