Changing stroke rehab and research worldwide now.Time is Brain! trillions and trillions of neurons that DIE each day because there are NO effective hyperacute therapies besides tPA(only 12% effective). I have 523 posts on hyperacute therapy, enough for researchers to spend decades proving them out. These are my personal ideas and blog on stroke rehabilitation and stroke research. Do not attempt any of these without checking with your medical provider. Unless you join me in agitating, when you need these therapies they won't be there.

What this blog is for:

My blog is not to help survivors recover, it is to have the 10 million yearly stroke survivors light fires underneath their doctors, stroke hospitals and stroke researchers to get stroke solved. 100% recovery. The stroke medical world is completely failing at that goal, they don't even have it as a goal. Shortly after getting out of the hospital and getting NO information on the process or protocols of stroke rehabilitation and recovery I started searching on the internet and found that no other survivor received useful information. This is an attempt to cover all stroke rehabilitation information that should be readily available to survivors so they can talk with informed knowledge to their medical staff. It lays out what needs to be done to get stroke survivors closer to 100% recovery. It's quite disgusting that this information is not available from every stroke association and doctors group.

Monday, March 18, 2019

Doctor shares personal stroke journey and alarming stats

The alarming stats that should be shared are:

These minor problems still need solving. Awareness is a total copout.

1. Only 10% of patients get to full recovery.
2. tPA only fully works to reverse the stroke 12% of the time. Known since 1996.
3. No protocols to prevent your 33% dementia chance post-stroke from an Australian study.
4. Nothing to alleviate your fatigue.
5. Nothing that will cure your spasticity.
6. Nothing on cognitive training unless you find this yourself.
7. No published stroke protocols.
8. No way to compare your stroke hospital results vs. other stroke hospitals.

 

Doctor shares personal stroke journey and alarming stats

RETIRED doctor Brad Butwell is proof a life-changing condition can affect any one at any time.
Dr Butwell was a Kingaroy GP for 42 years, but his life took a sharp turn when he had a stroke nine years ago.
"I was unconscious for two days,” Dr Butwell said.
"I have no recollection of what happened.
"I was always a fit, healthy individual. I used to walk 40km a week.”
Symptoms of stroke include trouble walking, speaking and understanding, as well as paralysis or numbness of the face, arm or leg.
"I am permanently and totally disabled in the left side of my body,” he said.
"I can't move my body. I can't get up steps.
"If I didn't have my wife, I'd probably be in a nursing home.”
ALARMING STATS: Retired GP, Dr Brad Butwell suffered a stroke nine years ago.
ALARMING STATS: Retired GP, Dr Brad Butwell suffered a stroke nine years ago. Matt Collins
The passionate country doctor has moments of emotional weakness, but he is still able to see the bright side of life.
"One of the things that kept me going is knowing there is always some poor bastard worse off than me,” Dr Butwell said.
The retired doctor is set to present a stroke information talk at the Kingaroy Library next week.
In his presentation, he will share why knowing the FAST principle is so important.
"Most people go to these things and they forget everything within the first 15 minutes,” he said.
"FAST is the one message I want to get across.”
As it so often is, behind every great man is an even greater woman and Dr Butwell praised his wife of 54 years.
"This has been a big impact on my wife's life,” he said.
"Just when we were about to think about slowing down, she now has had to care for me.”
Being a doctor means he is able to deliver the information and raise awareness of stroke in a simple to understand manner.
"I certainly have a bigger understanding than most people,” Dr Butwell said.
"I do these talks to spread the word.”
In Australia, 56,000 people had strokes in 2018.
"25 to 30 just in Kingaroy will have a stroke this year,” he said.
"Of those 30 people, two will die.”
Dr Butwell first began practising back in the 1960s when he was only 23.
After his first couple of years as a doctor in Brisbane and the Sunshine Coast, Dr Butwell found his true calling in Kingaroy.
"I always wanted to be a country GP,” he said.
"I grew up in the country and have a great respect for country GPs.”
To book for Dr Butwell's stroke information session on Thursday, March 14, at 10am, contact the Kingaroy Library on 4189 9256.

No comments:

Post a Comment