Changing stroke rehab and research worldwide now.Time is Brain! trillions and trillions of neurons that DIE each day because there are NO effective hyperacute therapies besides tPA(only 12% effective). I have 523 posts on hyperacute therapy, enough for researchers to spend decades proving them out. These are my personal ideas and blog on stroke rehabilitation and stroke research. Do not attempt any of these without checking with your medical provider. Unless you join me in agitating, when you need these therapies they won't be there.

What this blog is for:

My blog is not to help survivors recover, it is to have the 10 million yearly stroke survivors light fires underneath their doctors, stroke hospitals and stroke researchers to get stroke solved. 100% recovery. The stroke medical world is completely failing at that goal, they don't even have it as a goal. Shortly after getting out of the hospital and getting NO information on the process or protocols of stroke rehabilitation and recovery I started searching on the internet and found that no other survivor received useful information. This is an attempt to cover all stroke rehabilitation information that should be readily available to survivors so they can talk with informed knowledge to their medical staff. It lays out what needs to be done to get stroke survivors closer to 100% recovery. It's quite disgusting that this information is not available from every stroke association and doctors group.

Sunday, March 20, 2011

therapy intervention reason

I follow lots of stroke survivor blogs but only one therapist other than Pete Levine and that is Toni, she is a neuro therapist and works mainly with stroke patients and has wonderful insights.
http://community.advanceweb.com/blogs/pt_2/default.aspx?p=2
She talks about evidence based therapy vs. clinical experience. You as a patient should know the distinction because if your therapist can only use evidence-based therapy then they may not be able to point you to clinical trials in Phase I or II. Toni only seems to need to do that for classes. The more you know the better you will make your therapists. Consider it on-the-job training.
From Toni:
Every course I've taken has required me to produce evidence to support my interventions. I could use clinical experience to decide which intervention but not to support my decision. My experience with the treatment could not be cited. Unless I had a study supporting my decision, the intervention was acceptable.
There are two schools of thought. One stresses the evidence over everything else. The other ignores the evidence and relies on what has worked in the past. Ideally we want a patient-focused happy medium. Somewhere along the line, clinical experience came to be looked down on because it is intangible and not always reproducible. Skill level has an effect on this. Someone who is skilled in a technique is going to have better outcomes than someone just learning it.

1 comment:

  1. The best therapy I got was at a hospital connected to a university. To be specific, It was The health and Sciences Center of the University of Colorado. My therapist would go to the university library and read jourals, come over to the hospital and discuss her thoughts with the PT doctor, and then apply what she learned in my sessions. It was wonderful. I got out of the plastic brace on my leg and medicine dosage was reduced.

    ReplyDelete