Changing stroke rehab and research worldwide now.Time is Brain! trillions and trillions of neurons that DIE each day because there are NO effective hyperacute therapies besides tPA(only 12% effective). I have 523 posts on hyperacute therapy, enough for researchers to spend decades proving them out. These are my personal ideas and blog on stroke rehabilitation and stroke research. Do not attempt any of these without checking with your medical provider. Unless you join me in agitating, when you need these therapies they won't be there.

What this blog is for:

My blog is not to help survivors recover, it is to have the 10 million yearly stroke survivors light fires underneath their doctors, stroke hospitals and stroke researchers to get stroke solved. 100% recovery. The stroke medical world is completely failing at that goal, they don't even have it as a goal. Shortly after getting out of the hospital and getting NO information on the process or protocols of stroke rehabilitation and recovery I started searching on the internet and found that no other survivor received useful information. This is an attempt to cover all stroke rehabilitation information that should be readily available to survivors so they can talk with informed knowledge to their medical staff. It lays out what needs to be done to get stroke survivors closer to 100% recovery. It's quite disgusting that this information is not available from every stroke association and doctors group.

Monday, July 9, 2012

Stroke rehab - phone use

I'm breaking one of my rules in this situation. Rule - Always go for recovery, do not compensate. At my new workplace we have a standard phone on the desk. It should be so simple to put the phone in my left hand and hold it to my ear, leaving my right hand for writing stuff down or surfing the internet while in a phone meeting. I tried this a couple of times, it takes me 3 minutes to get the phone in my hand, prop my elbow on the desk and I still have to hold everything with my right hand. My wrist curls down, my lats pull my arm to my side with extreme persistence, my ear does not stay on the receiver and I can't get everything back to usefulness without using the right hand.  Without spasticity to contend with this would be a simple exercise in repetitive movements. So I'm going to get a headphone set that allows me hands-free operation. The problem is that its a Cisco IP phone that requires a headset that has a normal phone jack connection, Best Buy and Officemax don't carry them, supposedly Staples does. Staples is $120, I'm buying it from Amazon for 19.95 As an ADL there must be a therapy protocol out there someplace for recovering phone abilities(not compensating/cheating like me). Cell phones are impossible to use in my left hand, I end up punching all the buttons and I can't keep the phone to my ear. Which is why I compensated and got a bluetooth.

2 comments:

  1. The funeral home is going to have to pry the headset off my cold dead body. Being able to use a phone quickly makes me useful and keeps me in touch with people I love. For me recovery as a person trumps hand use.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I use a speaker phone as my landline, and patience - on both parties' sides - using my cell phone (up and down between phone and pen). For the former, I announce my intention and get an okay before proceeding; it's also perfect for being on hold (medical offices) or navigating through a phone tree (pharmacies).

    And Dean - you can forgive yourself for being your renegade self and breaking your own rules.

    ReplyDelete