Changing stroke rehab and research worldwide now.Time is Brain! trillions and trillions of neurons that DIE each day because there are NO effective hyperacute therapies besides tPA(only 12% effective). I have 523 posts on hyperacute therapy, enough for researchers to spend decades proving them out. These are my personal ideas and blog on stroke rehabilitation and stroke research. Do not attempt any of these without checking with your medical provider. Unless you join me in agitating, when you need these therapies they won't be there.

What this blog is for:

My blog is not to help survivors recover, it is to have the 10 million yearly stroke survivors light fires underneath their doctors, stroke hospitals and stroke researchers to get stroke solved. 100% recovery. The stroke medical world is completely failing at that goal, they don't even have it as a goal. Shortly after getting out of the hospital and getting NO information on the process or protocols of stroke rehabilitation and recovery I started searching on the internet and found that no other survivor received useful information. This is an attempt to cover all stroke rehabilitation information that should be readily available to survivors so they can talk with informed knowledge to their medical staff. It lays out what needs to be done to get stroke survivors closer to 100% recovery. It's quite disgusting that this information is not available from every stroke association and doctors group.

Wednesday, July 20, 2011

testing bicycle riding as stroke rehabilitation

When I came back from Winnipeg I stopped at a friends cabin. There was a bicycle leaning against a car in the paved parking lot. I stared at it and decided it was time to see if I could still ride. I pried my left hand onto the handlebar. I tried about 6 times standing on my left leg to swing my right leg over the seat. Finally just put my right hand against the car. Luckily the left pedal was at the bottom of the arc., so I didn't have to counteract the spasticity to get it situated. I successfully did three loops around the parking lot. So now I have to get my bike out of the basement, pump up the two flat tires, lower the bike seat and add toe clips. Maybe I can finally have a sport that I can have the wind blowing through my sparse hairs again. Don't worry I'll be wearing a helmet.

Read my post on my epic failure before you even think about doing this.
http://oc1dean.blogspot.com/2011/08/epic-failure-at-bike-stroke-therapy.html

6 comments:

  1. OMG!! Thank you, Dean. I've been hoping I would be able to ride my bike again. I've been too afraid to try. Maybe I'll add knee and elbow pads to my outfit.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Way to gooo! Well done Dean!
    Have tried tentatively using my bike...have to get the people at the bike workshop to change the breaks & gears to the other side before i can safely use it tho. The last time I tried I could only use it on the flat & slowly, else I coudn't control the breaks or change gears - still, it's a start!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dean, that is great news! Good for you!!!!

    From Diane at The Pink House On The Corner

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is wonderful! Congratulations!

    Maybe you can find room for a brand new bike in your garage! lol

    Linda

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow! Bike riding was one of the activities I had accepted I would never do again. Apparently, it can be done...and I'm impressed, but not surprised, that you were brave enough to try.

    ReplyDelete