Changing stroke rehab and research worldwide now.Time is Brain! trillions and trillions of neurons that DIE each day because there are NO effective hyperacute therapies besides tPA(only 12% effective). I have 523 posts on hyperacute therapy, enough for researchers to spend decades proving them out. These are my personal ideas and blog on stroke rehabilitation and stroke research. Do not attempt any of these without checking with your medical provider. Unless you join me in agitating, when you need these therapies they won't be there.

What this blog is for:

My blog is not to help survivors recover, it is to have the 10 million yearly stroke survivors light fires underneath their doctors, stroke hospitals and stroke researchers to get stroke solved. 100% recovery. The stroke medical world is completely failing at that goal, they don't even have it as a goal. Shortly after getting out of the hospital and getting NO information on the process or protocols of stroke rehabilitation and recovery I started searching on the internet and found that no other survivor received useful information. This is an attempt to cover all stroke rehabilitation information that should be readily available to survivors so they can talk with informed knowledge to their medical staff. It lays out what needs to be done to get stroke survivors closer to 100% recovery. It's quite disgusting that this information is not available from every stroke association and doctors group.

Monday, December 3, 2012

My arm bangs into my crotch as I walk - what to do?

A correspondent and I were discussing this.  When I was walking with a cane this was not much of a problem. I refuse to go back to that to solve the problem. I've tried a couple of things that haven't worked yet.
1. Stretching - I've tried the positional thing where you get
your arm in a straight position and hold it there as long as possible.
Sitting on a couch, put your arm straight out from your shoulder and
hold it on the couch back. For me this was only possible if someone
else put it there. My bicep and lats would start firing and cause the
arm to bend. If I had it wedged so it wouldn't move the pain would
increase until I could only last 5 minutes. I never succeeded in
relaxing the muscles.
2. Carrying stuff- grocery bags, etc. These are not heavy enough to force the bicep to relax, causing the bags to bang into my leg as I walk. Eventually causing my fingers to release the bag.
3. Dumbbells - I'm working on the extreme weight
theory that 35 lb. dumbbells are enough to straighten it out and
improve the finger strength at the same time. There is the high
likelihood of dropping it on my feet. Although I do have weightlifting hookers so I could still work my arm without needing finger strength.

What do you do?
What would your therapist say?
Someone in the world has solved this problem, What is the answer?
Its damn embarassing to be walking toward a women and have this happen, even though I'm not good looking.

1 comment:

  1. As an OT I can think of at least three reasons you may have this problem so a therapist really needs to evaluate you. When I have a problem I can't fix I go back to therapy for a tune-up. Insurance companies want to prevent falls because it keeps claims down so getting a script for therapy will be easier if you stress the fact that this asymmetrical posture puts you at risk for a fall. Tell the PT about your embarrassing problem once you start therapy.

    ReplyDelete