Changing stroke rehab and research worldwide now.Time is Brain! trillions and trillions of neurons that DIE each day because there are NO effective hyperacute therapies besides tPA(only 12% effective). I have 523 posts on hyperacute therapy, enough for researchers to spend decades proving them out. These are my personal ideas and blog on stroke rehabilitation and stroke research. Do not attempt any of these without checking with your medical provider. Unless you join me in agitating, when you need these therapies they won't be there.

What this blog is for:

My blog is not to help survivors recover, it is to have the 10 million yearly stroke survivors light fires underneath their doctors, stroke hospitals and stroke researchers to get stroke solved. 100% recovery. The stroke medical world is completely failing at that goal, they don't even have it as a goal. Shortly after getting out of the hospital and getting NO information on the process or protocols of stroke rehabilitation and recovery I started searching on the internet and found that no other survivor received useful information. This is an attempt to cover all stroke rehabilitation information that should be readily available to survivors so they can talk with informed knowledge to their medical staff. It lays out what needs to be done to get stroke survivors closer to 100% recovery. It's quite disgusting that this information is not available from every stroke association and doctors group.

Monday, June 3, 2019

One handed smart phoes woes

I can't blame my doctor and therapists for these problems, had a flip phone back in '06'.
Normal people hold the phone in one hand and use the other for swiping, typing, etc. When I try to put it in my affected left hand, due to spasticity it either turns off the phone, adjusts the volume or turns on Bixby. I tried the ring attachment on the back of the phone, didn't work. Took 5-10 minutes to get the finger flat enough to insert. Then the spasticity of the thumb would curl over the screen, pushing whatever icons were there. And typing the left most letters just were not available or inserted where they weren't wanted.  The pop up button I didn't try but that makes the assumption that you can squeeze your middle fingers together as needed to stabilize the phone, never occur in my case. Neither of these works with the magnetic attachment I have for use in my car. 

So I do icon selection and typing with the right hand thumb. while holding the phone with my fingers. Which is a problem for items out of thumb range. I end up having to press the phone against my body and rotate it to get the thumb in position.

2 comments:

  1. I use a PopSocket to hold phone with my fingers & type with my thumb of my right non-affected hand. Fortunately, I was right-handed before stroke, since left hand is still pretty useless 6 years later.
    https://www.amazon.com/s?k=pop+socket&crid=3UYSDT1WMYJKY&sprefix=pop%2Caps%2C283&ref=nb_sb_ss_i_1_3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My thumb still gets in the way with that one.

      Delete