Changing stroke rehab and research worldwide now.Time is Brain! trillions and trillions of neurons that DIE each day because there are NO effective hyperacute therapies besides tPA(only 12% effective). I have 523 posts on hyperacute therapy, enough for researchers to spend decades proving them out. These are my personal ideas and blog on stroke rehabilitation and stroke research. Do not attempt any of these without checking with your medical provider. Unless you join me in agitating, when you need these therapies they won't be there.

What this blog is for:

My blog is not to help survivors recover, it is to have the 10 million yearly stroke survivors light fires underneath their doctors, stroke hospitals and stroke researchers to get stroke solved. 100% recovery. The stroke medical world is completely failing at that goal, they don't even have it as a goal. Shortly after getting out of the hospital and getting NO information on the process or protocols of stroke rehabilitation and recovery I started searching on the internet and found that no other survivor received useful information. This is an attempt to cover all stroke rehabilitation information that should be readily available to survivors so they can talk with informed knowledge to their medical staff. It lays out what needs to be done to get stroke survivors closer to 100% recovery. It's quite disgusting that this information is not available from every stroke association and doctors group.

Friday, February 18, 2011

Marijuana and stroke rehab

Medicinal Uses of Marijuana: Brain Trauma/Stroke
Medicinal Uses of Marijuana: Brain Trauma/Stroke
2-Arachidonoyl glycerol (2-AG) is an endogenous cannabinoid, identified both in the periphery and in the brain,
We administered synthetic 2-AG to mice after CHI and found significant reduction of brain oedema, better clinical recovery, reduced infarct volume and reduced hippocampal cell death compared with controls.
Patients in Cannabis-Based Drug Trial Reported Some Benefit for Relieving Spasticity in MS
Or maybe you want to try marijuana
Cannabis counters brain cell damage after a stroke
NEGATIVE EFFECTS: Short-term effects include memory and learning problems, distorted perception, and difficulty thinking and solving problems.
A lot of this looks like during acute phase although if it would do something for spasticity I would definitely try it.
And then there is the fact that marijuana also increases the risk of a stroke/heart attack.
Marijuana may up heart attack, stroke risk: study

10 comments:

  1. I was not aware of a lot of this. I have a stroke friend who uses medicinal marijuana and finds it very effective at reducing her pain even though she gets little relief from other medications. I am not sure that spasticity is actually reduced or if it is just the pain.

    Linda
    http://leadingahealthylife.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. I smoked the stuff when I was in high school and a little in college AFTER I had the stroke. Yes, I think it did help with spasticity but I also couldn't fuction as well. Gave the stuff up to have a real life.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I smoked pot in High school & give it up in my 20's for a high dollar job. I had a stroke at 43 which ended my career so Started smoking pot again in a more private relaxed setting. I have been recovering by leaps & bounds. No don't think the pot has anything to do with it really but It does help with my anger issues since my stroke.I don't feel so in raged by my limitations anymore. Only downside I see is Is I have to make myself get up & do something! Back in the day they always said pot burns brain cells, Not even close to the damage a stroke causes.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I can understand the anger issues over limitations. I had a stroke two weeks ago and I am dealing with the same issues. I'm gonna try the smoke amd see if it helps my moods. As far as the spasticity stretching is the only thing that helps me. I am 43...too young for this!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. My brother is 42 and just suffered a stroke he is also a fib, yhis has been a nightmare! I thought marijuana might help with his mood, but if it puts him at greater risk for another stroke or heart attack forget it!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think marijuana really has an effect when it comes to brain trauma but it is also said that it can be used to treat this kind of problem. It is because a Marijuana Rehab Guy can actually be considered as a kind of study to learn how it can affect the lives of people.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you! For one, I am all for the legalization of drugs. With that said, I get upset when people say “marijuana is not addictive.” It is addictive, just like fast food, exercise, sex, etc… However, marijuana addiction is different than fast food, exercise, sex, etc… because you don’t have to work for the high, unlike the others. People get use to the “easy” high, and thus depend on marijuana to give them that.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I could not take snuff smokers of marijuana smokers, since all but one of those testing positive for marijuana in urine also showed signs of nicotine.

    ReplyDelete
  9. There is a permanent cure to stroke,My Dad once suffered from stroke,for five years,we have used many different medication on him,
    Then I had of a Doctor who can cure stroke,i got his contact and made order for his product,my Dad too it for just one month and now he is back to normal,there is no more weakness in him again,all the symptoms are all gone.am very happy for him.to also get the solution,
    contact Dr Benson at drbenson833@gmail.com
    Regards.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Useless info without the product name/ingredients.

      Delete