34 posts on music therapy. Back to Oct. 2014
67 posts on music Back to March 2011
- In this study guidelines in stroke rehabilitation suggest the utilization of a multidisciplinary approach.
- Various methodologies and procedures with music are utilized in the stroke rehabilitation to improve motor and cognitive functions but also psychological outcomes.
- In this randomized controlled pilot trial, relational active music therapy approaches were tested in the post–acute phase of disease.
- Total 38 hospitalized patients with ischemic and hemorrhagic stroke were selected and allocated in two groups.
- The experimental group underwent the standard of care (physiotherapy and occupational therapy daily sessions) and relational active music therapy treatments.
- The control group underwent the standard of care only.
- Motor functions and psychological aspects were evaluated before and after treatments.
- Music therapy process was also assessed utilizing a particular rating scale.
- All groups demonstrated a positive trend in quality of life, functional and disability levels, and gross mobility.
- The experimental group demonstrated a decrease of anxiety and, in particular, of depression (p = 0.016).
- In addition, the strength of non–dominant hand (grip) essentially expanded in the experimental group (p = 0.041).