Changing stroke rehab and research worldwide now.Time is Brain! trillions and trillions of neurons that DIE each day because there are NO effective hyperacute therapies besides tPA(only 12% effective). I have 523 posts on hyperacute therapy, enough for researchers to spend decades proving them out. These are my personal ideas and blog on stroke rehabilitation and stroke research. Do not attempt any of these without checking with your medical provider. Unless you join me in agitating, when you need these therapies they won't be there.

What this blog is for:

My blog is not to help survivors recover, it is to have the 10 million yearly stroke survivors light fires underneath their doctors, stroke hospitals and stroke researchers to get stroke solved. 100% recovery. The stroke medical world is completely failing at that goal, they don't even have it as a goal. Shortly after getting out of the hospital and getting NO information on the process or protocols of stroke rehabilitation and recovery I started searching on the internet and found that no other survivor received useful information. This is an attempt to cover all stroke rehabilitation information that should be readily available to survivors so they can talk with informed knowledge to their medical staff. It lays out what needs to be done to get stroke survivors closer to 100% recovery. It's quite disgusting that this information is not available from every stroke association and doctors group.

Thursday, February 22, 2018

Foot woes in Ecuador

Walking in my Chaco sandals on the first day, sand cut my right big toe under the strap. A heavy duty bandage salvaged it so I could walk in Chacos again with just minor pain. The second day(Friday) at the beach we walked three miles north on the sand to a gravel cliff, so I took off my socks and shoes since we were in the wave line most of the time, 18,280 steps.
My feet sunburned quite badly, and yes I didn't put on sunscreen like I should have. The next day(Saturday), 9,000 steps, I managed to get my socks and shoes on even though my feet were swollen so we could walk one mile south on the beach to the town of San Jacinto. On Sunday played in the waves a bit in my Chacos, luckily the straps crossing the foot didn't pop any blisters. Was able to walk barefoot the 2 blocks to the hotel restaurant, for dinner that night, couldn't have managed to get shoes on to walk farther.
Took 20 minutes to get my Chacos on over socks on Monday so we could take a taxi to Manta and eventually fly to Quito, 7,200 steps. That night in the hotel discovered that the blister had drained but not torn. Bret insisted I sit outside the shower and run cold water over the foot along with a couple Advil and it started feeling better. Forced my feet into Chacos once again on Tuesday for the plane rides from Quito to Panama City to Fort Lauderdale to Detroit, 6905 steps. Luckily did not have to remove my sandals thru the checkpoints, I just kept them on and walked thru.
Had another vacation day on Wednesday so I never left the apartment, resting up my feet. On Thursday had to go back to work so had to put socks and shoes on once again, putting on socks one-handed over a blister does not work, It immediately tore wide open. Even though I only did 2610 steps today(Thursday) my foot now looks like hell since all the blisters have torn away.  The major pain associated with this is when the left foot goes in complete spasm mode. I was hopeful I could get back to 70,000 steps a week again but that will have to wait a couple of weeks.
Regardless of all the foot woes the Ecuador trip was a lot of fun and will need to be visited again(volcanoes, rain forest, equator line, Galapagos)

Bandaid on right toe, left foot the night after it occurred
After Saturdays walk, fluid filled, no leaking
Swollen feet in Chacos
Cold shower on the foot

The coconut Batidos in San Jacinto, 80 cents
Blister tore off

1 comment:

  1. It's been a day since this post - I hope your feet are feeling better. Seriously, you go to Equador and your only pictures are of your icky feet? To me, he coconut drink isn't much better, given that coconut makes me gag.

    ReplyDelete