Changing stroke rehab and research worldwide now.Time is Brain! trillions and trillions of neurons that DIE each day because there are NO effective hyperacute therapies besides tPA(only 12% effective). I have 523 posts on hyperacute therapy, enough for researchers to spend decades proving them out. These are my personal ideas and blog on stroke rehabilitation and stroke research. Do not attempt any of these without checking with your medical provider. Unless you join me in agitating, when you need these therapies they won't be there.

What this blog is for:

My blog is not to help survivors recover, it is to have the 10 million yearly stroke survivors light fires underneath their doctors, stroke hospitals and stroke researchers to get stroke solved. 100% recovery. The stroke medical world is completely failing at that goal, they don't even have it as a goal. Shortly after getting out of the hospital and getting NO information on the process or protocols of stroke rehabilitation and recovery I started searching on the internet and found that no other survivor received useful information. This is an attempt to cover all stroke rehabilitation information that should be readily available to survivors so they can talk with informed knowledge to their medical staff. It lays out what needs to be done to get stroke survivors closer to 100% recovery. It's quite disgusting that this information is not available from every stroke association and doctors group.

Thursday, May 9, 2024

Limitless Goals in the Acute Stroke Unit – National Physiotherapy Month with Diana Frailick

 Survivor goals are simple: 100% recovery! But I see nothing from our fucking failure of stroke associations  suggesting they are trying for that goal and certainly nothing in place right now. Goals are great but survivors won't achieve them without EXACT REHAB PROTOCOLS which is the responsibility of your stroke medical 'professionals'.

Limitless Goals in the Acute Stroke Unit – National Physiotherapy Month with Diana Frailick

Diane smiles at the camera. Text reads: limitless goals in the acute stroke unit. National physiotherapy month with Diana Frailick.

I have always been so intrigued by the holistic approach to healing and the teamwork within public health care. My mother was an incredible nurse and also inspired me to follow in her footsteps towards a career in caring for others. For a long time, I knew I wanted to work in the health system but I had no idea where or how. I switched between four different faculties during my undergrad before I discovered physiotherapy. After that, it felt like an easy decision – this was the right career for me.

I have been working as a physiotherapist for four years now at Health Sciences Centre (HSC), specifically in the new Acute Stroke Unit (ASU) since December 2023. The Acute Stroke Unit at HSC is a special place that offers a full range of services for stroke recovery patients, including specialized teams and equipment supporting intensive rehabilitation. There is a lot of recent research that shows the importance of early mobility post-stroke, and its longstanding impact on recovery. My work is very goal-centered, ensuring patients make as much progress as possible in the early days following a stroke before they are discharged or transferred. We focus on helping patients return to regular activities and daily living, which can happen in our state-of-the-art gym, fully functioning kitchen or in the patient rooms.  

The HSC physiotherapy department and staff at ASU are incredibly welcoming and have been really valuable in my development as a physiotherapist. I love the culture of continuous learning that comes with working at a teaching hospital. Every day I am surrounded by a combination of new and experienced professionals which makes for a collaborative environment with open mindsets. Even though I work in a specialized unit, there is a lot of variety in clinical presentation and functional abilities. I can confidently say I learn new things every single day.

The most rewarding part of my work is the patients. Seeing them show their family, friends or even other health care professionals some of the gains they have worked so hard for is an incredible feeling. This patient population is so fun to work with and each of them has a unique personality or interest which means there is never a dull moment around here. Whether we are celebrating big or small achievements, the goals are limitless.

No comments:

Post a Comment