Changing stroke rehab and research worldwide now.Time is Brain! trillions and trillions of neurons that DIE each day because there are NO effective hyperacute therapies besides tPA(only 12% effective). I have 523 posts on hyperacute therapy, enough for researchers to spend decades proving them out. These are my personal ideas and blog on stroke rehabilitation and stroke research. Do not attempt any of these without checking with your medical provider. Unless you join me in agitating, when you need these therapies they won't be there.

What this blog is for:

My blog is not to help survivors recover, it is to have the 10 million yearly stroke survivors light fires underneath their doctors, stroke hospitals and stroke researchers to get stroke solved. 100% recovery. The stroke medical world is completely failing at that goal, they don't even have it as a goal. Shortly after getting out of the hospital and getting NO information on the process or protocols of stroke rehabilitation and recovery I started searching on the internet and found that no other survivor received useful information. This is an attempt to cover all stroke rehabilitation information that should be readily available to survivors so they can talk with informed knowledge to their medical staff. It lays out what needs to be done to get stroke survivors closer to 100% recovery. It's quite disgusting that this information is not available from every stroke association and doctors group.

Monday, June 20, 2016

Backup camera for post stroke driving

I'm on the road again, this time in Harrisburg, PA. Renting cars once again, this week I got a Ford Focus which even has a backup camera. That is going to be required in my next car. There is no way I can safely backup with only one usable hand without it. When I mentioned this problem to my doctor 8 years ago his solution was to pivot in the car seat so my bad left side was against the seat back. That is actually impossible to do and get back to normal sitting with one usable hand. Also impossible to keep the right foot on the accelerator.  Obviously my doctor knew squat about stroke car driving.  Last year I had a camera on a Chevy Tahoe so I assumed they were only installed on beasts of cars.

4 comments:

  1. I really don't trust relying on those backup video camera even when OTHER people use them; there's no way I would rely on it when I drive. I don't understand what all the intersecting lines mean. I hate even the ones that beep when you back close to something (like a curb).

    I prefer pivoting to look over my shoulder; I do it without shifting the position of my butt so that returning to front is easy. I can't imagine turning so far as to get my left arm against the seat back.

    When will you buy a new car?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I plan on buying a new car just before I retire, which could be in 2 years, 6 years 8 months or 10 years. I haven't calculated my financial position yet for retirement to know.

      Delete
  2. I highly recommend the subaru legacy. It has the highest safety record of all sedans, with lots of airbags, feels very secure while driving and comes with the back camera option at the first upgrade from the very basic model. and with all this it is in the low 20's. they probably also have this option in their forester model if you like an suv type car.

    ReplyDelete
  3. After stroke 3 years ago, I had to sell my Mustang which was too low and I could't reach the door to close. I got an Equinox with good seat height and much easier to get in & out that has backup camera & it really helps because left shoulder and neck are really tight from spasticity, making turning head painful.
    I steer with weak left arm for last year on straight roads and a few weeks ago able to operate turn signal so I try to remember that to overcome learned nonuse.

    ReplyDelete