I bet your doctor will miss giving you this excellent therapy practice.
When I told this to an Uber driver today he suggested I write up and publish this as a stroke protocol. His wife had a massive stroke and doctors at the RIC were pretty useless is getting her recovered.
Every second of every day in the United States an older adult falls, making falls the number one cause of injuries and deaths from injury among older Americans. In 2014 alone, older Americans experienced 29 million falls causing seven million injuries and costing an estimated $31 billion in annual Medicare costs, according to a new report published by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention in the Morbidity and Mortality Weekly Report (MMWR). The new numbers are being released in conjunction with the 9th Falls Prevention Awareness Day, sponsored by the National Council on Aging (NCOA). The observance addresses the growing public health issue and promotes evidence–based prevention programs and strategies to reduce the more than 27,000 fall deaths in older adults each year. With more than 10,000 older Americans turning 65 each day, the number of fall–related injuries and deaths is expected to surge, resulting in cost increases unless preventive measures are taken. STEADI helps healthcare providers make fall prevention routine. To reduce older adult falls, CDC created the Stopping Elderly Accidents, Deaths, and Injuries (STEADI) initiative to help healthcare providers make fall prevention routine. STEADI is based on clinical guidelines and provides information and resources for patients, caregivers, and all members of the healthcare team. STEADI includes:
- Information on how to screen for falls
- Online training for providers
- Videos on how to conduct functional assessments
- Informational brochures for providers, patients and caregivers
- Ask patients if they have fallen in the past year, feel unsteady, or worry about falling.
- Review medications and stop, switch, or reduce the dose of medications that could increase the risk of falls.
- Recommend vitamin D supplements.