Changing stroke rehab and research worldwide now.Time is Brain! trillions and trillions of neurons that DIE each day because there are NO effective hyperacute therapies besides tPA(only 12% effective). I have 523 posts on hyperacute therapy, enough for researchers to spend decades proving them out. These are my personal ideas and blog on stroke rehabilitation and stroke research. Do not attempt any of these without checking with your medical provider. Unless you join me in agitating, when you need these therapies they won't be there.

What this blog is for:

My blog is not to help survivors recover, it is to have the 10 million yearly stroke survivors light fires underneath their doctors, stroke hospitals and stroke researchers to get stroke solved. 100% recovery. The stroke medical world is completely failing at that goal, they don't even have it as a goal. Shortly after getting out of the hospital and getting NO information on the process or protocols of stroke rehabilitation and recovery I started searching on the internet and found that no other survivor received useful information. This is an attempt to cover all stroke rehabilitation information that should be readily available to survivors so they can talk with informed knowledge to their medical staff. It lays out what needs to be done to get stroke survivors closer to 100% recovery. It's quite disgusting that this information is not available from every stroke association and doctors group.

Friday, July 21, 2023

My stroke rehab schedule

This is not something any of you reading this should follow. None of this is sanctioned by any medical staff
I try to do this daily.
Since moving to an apartment in East Lansing, MI I have the ability to setup stroke stations and leave them up permanently. I work my way around the room.
Bosu, round side down - in the corner so I can touch the wall for balance.  At the gym when I first started this I used a railing.10-15 minutes just rolling the Bosu under your feet. Excellent for strengthening your ankles and general balance.
Cane1 -  handle in bad hand, good hand on rubber tip, push left hand straight out in front, then over the head and back down behind me, completing a complete circle. For my spasticity.
Cane2 - sitting in chair, bad hand on grip. Extend the arm directly out in front of you, pull it back in, 50 reps. When done, arm straight out, let it drop to the left, bring it upright,  let it drop to the right, bring it upright. 25 times each.
Theraband progressive hand trainer sheets
with prepunched holes for your fingers. You put the sheet into an embroidery hoop, the one that comes with the kit doesn't work, so buy a 7 or 9 inch embroidery hoop. none of the individual sheets were strong enough to keep my fingers open, so I used all six that came in the red refill pack and put them into one hoop.   I can get this on in 30 seconds. Not only can you  work flexion, also spreading/unspreading your fingers.
Saebo flex -Because the Saebo takes me 20 minutes to get on I don't use it very much.
Passive flexing and unflexing the fingers - This is done anytime my right hand is not in use for daily tasks.
Hand Helper - I received one of these from my OT and would spend minutes willing my hand to relax. Getting the rubber bands on requires a two-handed person.
 eStim -
Splitting wedge - This needs to be done on a carpeted floor, its too dangerous anywhere off the ground. I force the top end into my left hand and just balance it pointed side down, at first with my elbow on the floor, don't try this unless you have the ability to release your hand  before it tips and hits the floor, its quite painful  otherwise.
Gripmaster I bought a couple of light resistance ones but they don't work for me because I can't separate my fingers enough to use them.
Hamstring work, sitting in regular kitchen chair pull your bad leg underneath you.
Laundry basket carrying   I load it up with clothes, if the left hand releases the falling to the floor does not hurt anything. Forcing my hand open to grab/release the handle will eventually(1 million tries later?) tell my extensors to work.

No comments:

Post a Comment