Changing stroke rehab and research worldwide now.Time is Brain! trillions and trillions of neurons that DIE each day because there are NO effective hyperacute therapies besides tPA(only 12% effective). I have 523 posts on hyperacute therapy, enough for researchers to spend decades proving them out. These are my personal ideas and blog on stroke rehabilitation and stroke research. Do not attempt any of these without checking with your medical provider. Unless you join me in agitating, when you need these therapies they won't be there.

What this blog is for:

My blog is not to help survivors recover, it is to have the 10 million yearly stroke survivors light fires underneath their doctors, stroke hospitals and stroke researchers to get stroke solved. 100% recovery. The stroke medical world is completely failing at that goal, they don't even have it as a goal. Shortly after getting out of the hospital and getting NO information on the process or protocols of stroke rehabilitation and recovery I started searching on the internet and found that no other survivor received useful information. This is an attempt to cover all stroke rehabilitation information that should be readily available to survivors so they can talk with informed knowledge to their medical staff. It lays out what needs to be done to get stroke survivors closer to 100% recovery. It's quite disgusting that this information is not available from every stroke association and doctors group.

Wednesday, April 20, 2022

As a Fake Neuro Patient, I Got High-Quality Care

 I have zero confidence in our medical students to handle stroke cases, all because there are NO STROKE PROTOCOLS TO FOLLOW. If I were a fake patient I would be peppering them with what they are doing to get me 100% recovered. I wouldn't stop until they brought in all the higher levels above them and heard the same crapola. They have NOTHING  to get me 100% recovered. The fact they talk  about 'care' means they don't understand stroke patients at all! Stroke patients don't give a flying fuck about 'care'; they want recovery and results. I'm not a healthcare professional so I can't comment and tell them what is totally wrong here, which means they don't want to listen to their patients.

As a Fake Neuro Patient, I Got High-Quality Care

I'm confident in the abilities of our medical students

A photo of a female medical dummy in a hospital bed.

I was recently given the opportunity to act as a standardized neurology patient in a case simulation for a group of medical students. When I was in training, we often did simulations with mannequins, but since it is difficult for a mannequin to display subtle neurologic findings, having a neurology-trained doctor play the patient can make the simulation far more realistic. I have since played the parts of a stroke and a seizure patient multiple times, and I continue to be struck by the uniqueness of the experience. The students I have seen have impressed me with their knowledge and abilities, but have also reminded me how overwhelming medicine was when I started my medical journey.

The students often begin by forgetting to ask me my name, which is not an indicator of a lack of bedside manner. I remember doing the same thing when I was in training. Although a simulation is meant to be representative of real life, there is an undertone of surrealism that is very difficult to overcome -- the stillness of a simulated patient's room simply does not match the hustle and bustle of a true emergency department. Combine this with the stress of playing a role they have not finished training for and the fact that I look nothing like a 56-year-old with a brain tumor (spoiler alert!), and the students often forget I am not playing myself. Although I am meant to be "Emily Clarke," the students often autopilot to using my actual name. For unclear reasons that I find very amusing (and could probably fuel multiple papers on the doctor-patient hierarchy), in simulations I am often "Ms. Howard" -- I keep my name but lose my doctorate.

The patient I am playing is suffering from abulia -- a lack of motivation to do anything due to dysfunction of the frontal lobes of the brain. What this means for the poor students is that I will be an absolute nightmare to examine. I am thoroughly apathetic and answer most questions with a shrug. When asked if I know where I am, I respond with "I don't care." I pull away from attempts to formally assess my strength and at one point, when asked if something is bothering me, I respond in true abulic fashion with "You are." To make matters even worse for the students, at some point I will fake an aggressive seizure in front of them.

As they work through the case, I am fascinated (and often greatly entertained) by watching the students realize that what they have learned in books and lectures has left them unprepared to fully practice medicine. For example, when prompted with the fact that my blood pressure is too high, they must name an appropriate lowering medication (which they are usually able to do) and dosage (which is usually harder -- one group guessed a dose of labetalol that was 50 times a normal dose). Universally, the students have attempted to consult neurosurgery for the brain tumor without getting an MRI first (which usually results in an irritated neurosurgeon), and they always want to admit me to an intensive care unit even though there is no reason to believe I am imminently dying.

None of this is surprising. The students are only in their second of four years of medical school, and everything they have learned so far has been from a lecture or a textbook. As they go through the next 2 years, they will continue to be exposed to how medicine is practiced during their clinical rotations in the hospital. The most learning, however, will come during their first year after medical school. This is when they will be formally assigned the title of "doctor," and will take on the responsibility of ordering tests and treatments for patients themselves. Having seen firsthand how much the students have already picked up, I am fully confident they will adapt quickly to that role.

My experience as a standardized patient has been more than just entertaining -- it has given me hope. There is more to being a doctor than knowing how to read a CT, when to call neurosurgery, or what dose of which medication to give. There is a human aspect of doctoring, of caring about the patient, that is nearly impossible to teach. It is tempting for medical professionals to get lost in the data, and forget the patient is sitting in front of them. This is especially true of a simulation when the "patient" is, by definition, just there to provide information for a fabricated case. Yet, in multiple rounds of simulations with these students, not a single group has forgotten me. Throughout the cases, they have checked in to make sure I was okay and explained to me what they were thinking about or why they were ordering certain tests or drugs. Their care for a fake patient matched some of the best doctors I have worked with and is what makes me certain these future physicians will be a positive force of change in medicine. Any patients they see will be in good hands.

Danielle Howard, MD, is a PGY-5 and Multiple Sclerosis Fellow at Brigham and Women's Neurology.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment